1-800-4CENTAX (1-800-423-6829)

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Will CENTAX be collecting the 2011 Final Returns?
    1. All 4th quarter and Final Return Earned Income Tax will be handled by the tax collector for 2011. The two exceptions to this are Rochester and Center Township in Beaver county. We will collect Rochester Township final returns starting Jan 1 and Center Township starting March 1.  Beginning with the first quarter of 2012, Earned Income Taxes will be collected by the tax collector appointed by the County TCD under Act 32 for 2012.

  2. Where do i mail my final return?
    1. PAYMENT:
      Central Tax Bureau
      P.O. Box 670
      Bridgeville, PA 15017

       OWE $0:
      Central Tax Bureau
      P.O. Box 128
      Bridgeville, PA 15017

      Central Tax Bureau
      P.O. Box 716
      Bridgeville, PA 15017

  3. The office in my area closed.  Where do I make my payments?
    1. You may mail your payments to the appropriate PO Box HERE.  As long as the postmark on the envelope is before the due date, you will not be assessed any late penalties. 

  4. I am an Individual Taxpayer who must make quarterly estimated payments. Where do i find the form? Where do i mail the form?
    1. You will find the form HERE.     

      Please remit payment to the PO Box with the TCD code that matches the first two digits of your PSD code.

      TCD Code               TCD         P.O. Box                                 City, State Zip

           03                   Armstrong PO Box 451                   Bridgeville, PA 15017-0451
           04                   Beaver PO Box 686                         Bridgeville, PA 15017-0686
           13                   Carbon PO Box 308                        Bridgeville, PA 15017-0308
           16                   Clarion PO Box 576                        Bridgeville, PA 15017-0576
           19                   Columbia PO Box 756                   Bridgeville, PA 15017-0756
           23                   Delaware PO Box 368                   Bridgeville, PA 15017-0368
           24                   Elk PO Box 399                               Bridgeville, PA 15017-0399
           30                   Greene PO Box 248                       Bridgeville, PA 15017-0248
           40                   Luzerne PO Box 750                      Bridgeville, PA 15017-0750
           53                   Potter PO Box 158                          Bridgeville, PA 15017-0158
           54                   Schuylkill PO Box 726                    Bridgeville, PA 15017-0726
  5. How do I register my company with CENTAX?
    1. Please complete a Registration form found on our website HERE.  You may mail or fax it to our office. A cover sheet is not necessary.
    2. Your registration number will be the Federal Tax ID number for your company. 

  6. If my company is located in another state but my employees live in PA, do I withhold the EIT Tax?
    1. If the employees work in PA, i.e. from home or at a satellite office, then you are responsible to deduct the EIT.  If the employee lives in PA but works out of state, then you are not responsible for withholding this tax.

  7. Do we send a copy of the Certificate of Residence for each of our employees to CENTAX? How do I supply CENTAX with a list of employee information?
    1. The Certificate of Residence must remain on file in your office.  CENTAX will receive this information in a CSV format when the first quarter taxes are filed.  Please go to HERE to find the proper filing and remittance format.

  8. How often do I file my taxes for my company?
    1. You are required to file taxes quarterly unless you have registered as a multi-site employer.  If you are registered as a multi-site employer, then you are required to file monthly.

  9. I have employees all over the state who work at one central PA office.  Do I register with different tax collectors?
    1. No.  A company is only required to register with the tax collector for the work location.  The burden for distributing the taxes to the appropriate municipalities falls to the tax collector.

  10. Can I file electronically if my company has less than 25 employees?
    1. Yes, there is no minimum number required to file with a CD. We encourage all companies with a larger number of employees to use CD filing.
    2. For multi-site employees, we do require companies with over 50 employees to use electronic or CD filing.

  11. Do you have to send CD to file electronically?
    1. Yes, you must file electronically with a CD.

  12. Does Act 32 affect my LST Taxes?
    1. No, but be sure to check the LST collector for your district as this may not be the same as the EIT collector.

  13. Is the filing format for 2011 the same as 2010?
    1. No, we have a new, streamlined format for the 2011 final returns. 

  14. How do I obtain the necessary forms to request a “No Lien Letter”?
    1. If a No Lien Letter is all you need, then please complete the form HERE and send with a check/money order for $20.00 to “20 Emerson Lane, Suite 905, Bridgeville, PA  15017  ATTN: Tax Certification Dept”.  If a Tax Certification is also needed, it is an extra $20 for a total of $40.

  15. My company is out-of-state but I have several employees in PA.  They work out of their homes and are located all over the state.  How do I remit the Earned Income Tax for these employees?
    1. If you would like to file quarterly taxes, then you must register with each tax collector in the areas the employees live.
    2. If you would like to file monthly, then you must register as a multi-state employer.  You must choose a single tax collector to remit taxes and send a Statement of Intent letter to each Tax Collector notifying them of your preference.

  16. Do I have to use the new PSD codes?  Are there PSD codes for the school districts?
    1. The new 6-digit PSD codes are necessary as they represent specific municipalities and help differentiate where employees live versus where they work.  This allows us to determine where the Earned Income Tax money is sent.  While School Districts do have a PSD code, it is not necessary for Taxpayers to list these codes as the Municipality code already connects it to the appropriate school district.

  17. The municipality where my office is located does not have the Earned Income Tax and none of my employees live in areas that have an Earned Income Tax.  Do I have to register my company?
    1. No, you would not have to register your company for Earned Income Tax.  We do recommend that if your company has a high turnover rate of employees, i.e. restaurants, warehouses, then it may be prudent to register your company anyway.  This way it will be easier to remit taxes if an eligible employee does join the company. 
    2. Please note that there may be other taxes in your municipality for which your company will have to register.

  18. We have an office in PA with several employees but we also have employees that travel every day to different locations.  How do we code these employees?
    1. If the employees travel every day to different locations i.e plumbers, TV repairmen, etc, then the office location PSD Code may be used.
    2. If the employees travel to a single location, i.e. construction workers, and work there for more than 3 months, then the physical location PSD code must be used.

  19. Our company has been paying two Tax Collectors for the .5% each for the EIT.  Will this change for 2012?
    1. Yes.  Beginning with the first quarter of 2012, the municipal and school district portions of the EIT have been combined to be remitted to the  Tax Collector that has been appointed for the work location of the employee.

  20. I make less than $12,000 a year.  Do I still have to pay EIT & LST Taxes?
    1. Please check with your municipality and school district or click HERE to find any exemptions.

  21. I have 2 jobs.  Do I have to pay the Local Service Tax to each one?
    1. No, you are only required to pay the LST at your primary job unless the primary is only $10 and the Secondary is $52.  Then, if you make over the limit at the secondary job, your employer is responsible to deduct $1 a week You may fill out an exemption form HERE for any secondary job.

  22. We have several employees that reside in Philadelphia.  Do we withhold the EIT and remit to our local Tax Collector?
    1. No, Philadelphia is exempt from Act 32.  You will continue to remit this tax directly to the Philadelphia Tax Office.

  23. My employer has started to deduct the earned income tax from my pay.  But my paycheck stub lists the money as going to the municipality where I work.  How do I fix this?
    1. Under Act 32, employers must remit the Earned Income Tax to the Tax Collector for the municipality the which the business is located.  The Tax collector is then charged with sending the money to the appropriate location.  Your pay stub may reflect this by listing the municipality where you work.  If you are concerned, you may want to confirm this with your payroll department.

Copyright 2012 Central Tax Bureau of Pennsylvania, Inc. - Don Wilkinson Agency, Inc. | Privacy Policy